Different types of materials are regularly being used in a wide variety of applications. Materials are chosen based on the properties they offer. There are mainly 3 (three) types of properties materials usually possess. Currently intensive research is underway to characterize the different types of materials properties. Because almost, all the new things have been discovered. Now they are being tried to provide the desired properties. Researchers are presently trying to customize the materials in the nanoscale -termed as nanomaterials. Nanomaterials are believed and also found to be effective in almost all the sphere of science and technology.
1. Bulk Properties
2. Surface Properties
|Source: MDPI- Special Issue “Preparation and Properties of 2D Materials”
1. Bulk Properties:
- Uniaxial tension and compression
- Biaxial tension and compression
- Bending behaviour
- Torsional behaviour
- Stress concentration: Tear strength and Cutting or Shear strength.
- Fatigue (Distortion under repeated load) strength: Tension, Compression, Torsion and Bending.
2. Surface Properties:
- Contact behaviour
- Surface Roughness
- Wear resistance
- Stress concentration: Snag resistance and Pilling resistance.
3. Transfer Properties:
- Air permeability
- Water permeability
- Filtration: Liquid, Blood (on dialysis), Bacteria (in air conditioners) and Dust.
- Penetration (drilling) resistance: Bullet, Knife.
- Heat transfer
- Sound transfer
- Electromagnetic protection