The influence of the grid on cleaning efficiency?
The grid has a major influence on the cleaning effect via:
• the section of the bars;
• the grasping effect of the edges of the polygonal bars;
• the setting angle of the bars relative to the opening elements;
• the width of the gaps between the bars;
• the overall surface area of the grid.
The following elements can be used in the grid:
• slotted sheets (a): poor cleaning;
• perforated sheets (b): poor cleaning;
• triangular section bars (c): the most widely used grid bars;
• angle bars (d): somewhat weak;
• blades (e): strong and effective.
What are the Grid adjustments?
Three basic adjustments:
• Distance of the complete grid from the beater;
• Width of the gaps between the bars (a=closed, b=open);
• Setting angle relative to the beater envelope.
What are the general factors influencing opening and cleaning performance?
Degree of opening, degree of cleaning and fibre loss are influenced by-
– Type of opening roller
– Speed of the opening roller
– Degree of penetration
– Type of feed
– The spacing of the feed from the opening device
– Type of grid
– Area of the grid surface
– Grid settings
– Airflow throw the grid
– Condition of pre-opening
– The thickness of the feed web
– Material throughput
– Position of the machine in the machine sequence.